Friday, October 20, 2006

A Shocking Development

I have to say I was utterly stunned yesterday by a few comments directed to me from one of my faithful few. She told me that my blog titled "The Calling" was appalling, gross and bizarre in a bad way. So, me being who I am asked her,"So you liked it, right?" Big mistake, folks!

No she didn't like it was her reply, and trust me, I'm making this as presentable as possible. I asked her what was wrong with what I had written, because frankly, I was pretty pleased with it and was going to add other installments to it. She told me it was graphic in a weird sexual way and that there was no way anyone would do the things I wrote about in that short blog. That was when I made my next mistake.

I laughed at her response.

Apparently this member of my faithful few, possibly a former member after our discussion, doesn't live in the same screwed up world that I do. She evidently never hears about people being murdered, slaughtered, raped, tortured, etc. Excuse me, but in the world I live in you hear about it all the time.

I remember back in the early to mid 60's of the brutal torture slaying of a young 16 year old girl in Indianapolis by a woman who had been given the job of watching her during the summer months while her parents toured a carnival circuit. She was beaten, burned, tatooed, sexually assaulted and made to perform degrading forms of sexual acts in front of guests in this mentally deranged woman's home. Also in her care was this young woman's sister, but she never received the mistreatment the older sister did. This went on for months and finally, after all those months of brutal and inhuman treatment, the poor girl finally succumbed, wearing a brand of the number "3" burned into her chest and the words "I'm a prostitute and proud of it" tatooed into her stomach.

That was over 40 years ago, folks, and I don't call that kind of treatment very normal, do you?

I remember the murders committed by Richard Speck, Charles Starkweather and others, and all of those senseless murders occurred back during the time frame I placed my story in.

I think the root of the matter is that I inferred in the blog that the perpetrator of the grisly murder committed the act to receive sexual gratification from it. Well, DUH! That unfortuantely is how many murders happen, and if one cannot see that, well, then I guess maybe they live in a far saner world than the one I do.

I guess a band of destitute hippies back in 1969 didn't live in a communal type setting at the Spawn Ranch out in California and didn't have a "leader" by the name of Charlie Manson and I guess they weren't driven to commit murder for Charlie to start the racial war of all wars that Charlie referred to as "Helter-Skelter." Funny, I thought I read a book about that happening by a man who was the proseucting attorney in that same case. I guess the unborn baby of Sharon Tate didn't die after his expectant mother was stabbed to death by the crazed group Charlie sent out to do his bidding. I guess those two movies I saw about that happening were the creations of some sick minded author.

Sorry, and I know this is probably going to lose me at least one of my readers, but if you truly believe sick events like the one I described in "The Calling" don't happen, you are so naive I can't begin to describe it.

We do live in a sick world, folks, and it's been sick for centuries.

The Roman times, the games in the Colosseum, those games that ended in execution style murders for the sake of sport? That isn't sick?

For those old enough to remember a movie from the late 60's or early 70's entitled "Soldier Blue", it is an eye opener. True, it's fictional, (yeah, I liked that, too!) but a similar event that the movie entailed was actually based on an actual incident that took place in Vietnam. The Calvary are the American troups in Vietnam and the Native Americans are the innocent Vietnamese. If you've never seen "Soldier Blue," you need to. Hell of a movie for its time and a fabulous performance by Candace Bergen as well.

Sometime back in the mid 70's I recall reading about a murder, a violent dismemberment murder, and it was a murder that was never solved. I can't seem to find anyone else who can remember it happening, but I always wondered why anyone would commit such an act as that.

"The Calling" was my theory for what might have happened. Yes, it's fictional, but it is based on the memory I have of that unsolved murder.

If that blog offended you, sorry about your luck.

An author can't write something to please you every time they write.

If you don't wish to read anymore because of one blog, then take your narrow minded eyes on to other pastures that treat you with all that is pretty and pleasant, because, quite honestly, you won't be reading that crap here.

I'm not trying to run my faithful few away. Trust me, there probably aren't that many of you anyhow. But I won't sugar coat my writing simply because someone finds my subject matter offensive.

And, I refuse to censor my own writings.

For those who stick with me, thanks.

For those of you who don't, thanks for the time you've given me up to this point.

For those of you who do stick around, I hope you're enjoying the ride and I hope the best parts of it are yet to come.

Peace!

4 comments:

Serena said...

Hmmm. Bad stuff happens. It's an unfortunate fact of life, seen in the news every single day. I just read 'The Calling' and it is, in fact, chilling and disgusting and gross. But that's what crime is. I read true crime occasionally, and I've read about crimes just as appalling as that. And since that particular crime remains unsolved, it's as likely a scenario as any other. If you don't know the depths of depravity some human beings are capable of, how can you hope to protect yourself from it?

It's a shame you've lost a reader, Charlie. I would guess that that person doesn't read about real crime, either in the papers or in books. Which is okay; they don't have to. For those interested in human behavior and the psychology of crime, it's an explanation of what might have happened. And it was offered as such. One should never feel compelled to censor one's own words.

I accidentally saw 'Soldier Blue,' by the way, and was disturbed by those horrendous images for months afterwards. The fact that it disturbed me doesn't preclude my awareness that these things can happen, though. It's better to be aware of evil than to hide from the possibility of its existence.

RainbowDemon1952 said...

Thanks, Serena! I was floored when I was basically told I was a sick human being for what I had written, but then again, maybe all of us in this world anymore have to have a little sick in them just to survive. I guess my problem is that my feelings tend to get easily and probably moreso when it comes to my writing. Guess that's why I've never taken the next step towards publication. Ah, well, I'll continue doing what I do here because I enjoy it and hopefully the remainder of my faithful few do as well.

Again, thanks for the kind words and the encouragement. It came at a really good time!

Charlie

Alex Tucker said...

Hi Charlie

Autumn asked me to read this, to give you a second opinion. And my opinion is that you're not some weird twisted guy.

In all honesty, I think that anyone who finds what you wrote disturbing or gross needs to get out more, or at least watch a few episodes of any TV show aired after eight oclock PM. It was really just a character portrait of a very twisted character.

RainbowDemon1952 said...

Alex,
Thanks very much for the support and the kind words. I've been milling this particular subject over and over in my mind now for several years, and while I admit I was afraid to start writing it, I knew that I had to. I've never actually tried to put myself into the mind of a psychotic murderer before, but I have to also admit I was pleased with what I wrote, and after the support from Serena, yourself and Autumn, I can assure you, sir, that I do intend on adding more to this particular piece.
Once again, thanks for taking time to read The Calling and thanks for the comments as well. It sure beats what I was told by my surely former reader.
Peace!
Charlie