Monday, April 28, 2008

Is True Change Coming?

Last Friday afternoon, the little midwestern town I work in played host to Chelsea Clinton who made an appearance on behalf of her mother Hillary's presidential bid. Considering our little hamlet hasn't had a presidential campaign visit since 1940, this was by no means a small event.

A very nice crowd gathered in one of our city's parks, by no means our best park, but a nice one, and Chelsea delivered her speech and answered questions for a period of one hour standing on the park's gazebo. This young woman impressed me with her knowledge, her ease at answering a barrage of questions, and she was a great ambassador for her mother's presidential campaign.

Considering I live in a predominantly Republican county, I was worried that maybe someone in the crowd would attempt harrassing her, but much to my delight, the crowd was kind, responsive, and applauded several times as Chelsea spoke of the shortcomings of the past nearly eight years of the George W Bush administration. Her answers hit home, brought many cheers of agreement, and again, many rounds of applause.

At the end of her presentation, Chelsea spent at least another half hour, meeting and greeting people one on one, and having countless pictures taken with people in attendance. She was most gracious and attentive to all who took a few moments to meet with her.

When you listen to someone who speaks knowledgably and someone who takes the time to totally answer a wide variety of questions, you have to admire them if they know what they are speaking about, and trust me, this young lady indeed knows what she's talking about. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see her hold a political office in the not too distant future.

Our nation is in trouble right now, mere words can't begin to describe all we are facing at the present time, and I won't go into it right now because it is such a depressing state we are in. And that word depressing, well, it reminds me so much of the word "depression." I can remember growing up and hearing folks talk about The Great Depression and how they hoped we never saw another one. I can't help remembering those words each day as I watch and listen to the daily news. We're facing such hard times right now, and it doesn't appear that the present administration in Washington is doing much to help it out.

I can only hope when people do go to the polls this year they don't forget these things and tend to be party blind. Our nation can't face another four years of where we are right now and where we are heading. We need a change, and we need it now. It is my earnest hope that it is precisely that they think about when they cast their votes this year.

I took the time last Saturday morning to absentee vote in our state's upcoming primary election. I carried those thoughts with me Saturday morning and I kept them in mind when I cast my votes. I can only hope others follow suit.

I also hope that true change is right around the corner before it's too late.

Please, vote like your life depends on it, because truly, IT DOES!!

PLEASE, VOTE!!!

3 comments:

Tracy Flynn Art said...

A change may come, and most likely needs to, but it will not be from the child or family member of those who are running. It will be from all parties working together for the common good, and not just along political lines. the main problem with politics is that it is about the political and private interests and not the common interests.

Tracy

RainbowDemon1952 said...

Thanks, Tracy, and you're right, it won't be from a child or family member, but I found it amazing at how well informed this young woman to be. I'm truly hoping we can all see a true change in this election that will suit us all and not the special interest groups. It's high time we had that type of positive change. Thanks for the comment, my friend, hope you stop back by soon.
Charlie
aka Rainbow Demon 1952

Tracy Flynn Art said...

Charlie,

I have no doubt that she is well informed and highly intelligent. We have to remember that we cannot be blamed for something we have no control over......i.e. our lineage.

I see a change coming but not from 2 of the 3.

Thanks for the reply, and I'll be back often my friend.

Tracy