Saturday, May 17, 2008

Watching Our "Child" Grow

When you have a child, one of the most rewarding things you have is watching that child grow up, mature and blossom out.

Since our son is grown and moved away and with a family of his own, my fatherly instincts became renewed over a year and a half ago when I was asked to serve on the executive board of the Riverside Park Summer Concert Series.

After my first season last year, I felt like I had become a father again and watched as our concert series grew, matured and blossomed in its own way. At the end of the season, even though very tired mentally and physically, because it truly is a lot of work, I felt an emptiness that even our monthly meetings couldn't replace.

As winter passed thru the end of last year and into a new year, we began meeting twice a month and began the planning stages for another set of concerts for this summer. An idea I brought up blossomed and grew into something much bigger than I had anticipated. I took a simple idea about having a community picnic and it has turned into a huge event that takes place today, at long last, announcing the beginning of our series of summer concerts.

To say I'm full of anticipation would be an understatement.

This year, my most wonderful wife of over thirty years has joined me on the executive board which brings us together for even more time to spend as we venture into this new season of concerts. She has brought to our board an excitement much like I felt last year when I first began serving.

We've lost a few members from last year but they have been replaced with some really motivated and special people and working with them this year will be a joy and an honor. When we met together at the park last night and began setting up for today's event, I felt that same spark of joy kindle within me again, and I can't wait to get started.

Hopefully Mother Nature will cooperate today and we'll get a great day of weather and a huge turnout for our free hog roast and all the fixin's to go along with it. Kids events, a silent auction, a live bluegrass concert and a dj fill the afternoon with plenty to do for those who attend and for those of us who will be working the event as well.

Yeah, I'm a proud papa as I watch this series kick off again today with this small idea I hatched at a meeting at the first of the year and I can't wait for it to get going today. Speaking of which, I guess I best be getting myself ready to go as we plan on arriving a couple of hours before the celebration starts.

I can't wait to see the thrilled look on my wife's face today as she begins her first season as a proud new mama. I can only hope it is half the thrill I felt last year as I began my new role in life.

And away we go!!!

1 comment:

Tracy Flynn Art said...

Ya all should be proud of this event , and the concerts you have brought to our community. Events like these bring out the essence of the word......."community".

Although we could not attend the thing yesterday, we do go to as many of the concerts as we can, and get to connect and re-connect with old friends that we do not get to see as often as we would do to our own lives and what we have going on, just like everyone else; life sort of gets in the way of important things like family and friends.

It is a good thing that we have these shows and the people like you who do take the time to organize and to bring us these events. I know it is one of the things that makes me love this town all the more, and I would personally like to say thanks to you and those who make the time to bring this to us.

Thanks Charlie, and everyone.

Please keep them coming.

Tracy