Saturday, November 08, 2008

A New Path?

A few weeks ago a good friend of mine started a new blogpage and made an entry that really spoke to my heart. For whatever reasons, he decided to delete the entire page, something I wish he hadn't done. He's a damned good writer and he feels better each time he writes, but again, he has his reasons, so I have to support him on his decision.

He had made an entry regarding his health and his weight and what he needed to do to get both under control. This particular entry tugged at my heart because I am now facing similar circumstances in my life.

After my vacation a few weeks ago, actually, the first day back to work, I went to the family doctor for routine bloodwork and a flu shot. After the nurse weighed me, and me discovering that I now weigh more than I ever have in my life, she took me to the examination room and took my vitals. The first thing the doctor did when he came in the room was to take my blood pressure for a second time.

This had never happened before except on one other occasion, which was when they discovered I had developed high blood pressure.

This time, they discovered my blood pressure was the highest it had ever been. The bottom number had moved into the three digit category, which isn't a good thing, especially considering I already take two different blood pressure meds.

He informed me I need to lose a minimum of 25 pounds, and more desirably around 40 to 45 pounds. I need to lose that first 25 before my next appointment in February.

He explained to me that I am placing a strong amount of strain on my heart, and because of the increase in my blood pressure, I'm flirting with having a stroke.

Maybe I had too much on my mind during vacation and was letting some things worry me more than I should have. That would probably make a few of my enemies happy to know that, but to me, having that type of a burden added to my already hectic life isn't something I'm all that keen on.

So, in the last three weeks I've had only one beer, maybe two, which isn't all that big of a deal, but I do enjoy a cold one occasionally, but I enjoy living more.

I've cut out my snacking, or at least the size of those snacks, and I'm leaving candy entirely out of the picture. I'm eating smaller portions at mealtime, and I'm doing my best to walk more and be more physically active.

A few pounds have gone away, but I need a lot more to go the same way.

With the onset of cooler temperatures, I'm going to have to force myself to do more activities outside and ignore the fact that I totally abhor colder weather.

It's not going to be easy for me, because frankly, at my age, I have developed a lot of bad habits and it's harder to change now than it used to be.

I can only hope I can make these changes and make them before it is, indeed too late.

So, if you see me out and I seem to be a bit preoccupied, trust me, I am. I'm in a battle here that I truly desire to win, and win big. I need to eliminate as much stress from my life as I can, and for anyone who knows me, THIS is going to be my biggest challenge.

If you see me, encourage me, support me and let me know that can and will do it.

After all, it appears as if my life does indeed depend on me making it work.

2 comments:

Tracy Flynn Art said...

Hey Charlie,

Keep it up, and if youneed any help let me know, I am behind you100%.

Tracy

ryseja said...

Heck, you have people you've probably forgotten about, rooting you on thru this because of this blog. Like me. Take care- hope to pass thru someday and you better be around.