Saturday, May 30, 2009

From The Bent Mind, Part Three

Back in November of 1982 I had cancer surgery, actually I underwent surgery to remove testicular cancer. While in the hospital, I wrote the following poem to try and cope with the mental and physical pain I was going thru. Hope it got the point across.

The Third Day Reckoning

This horrid pain is killing me
And I wish to hell it'd stop.
I'm jump right off this stinking chair
And onto my bed I'd flop.

I've heard it said that day number three
Is the worst for post-operative pain.
This could be true, for day three is here
And the pain is driving me insane.

It feels like my guts want to rush forward
And burst right out of my skin.
And if that would happen, with all of this pain
I'd no doubt forget to shove them back in.

All I need is one more shot
To help me thru the day
And then tomorrow when I wake up
I'll try and face the fourth day.

Written November 8, 1982

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good poem.

ryseja said...

They say you can't actually remember pain, just that you had it. Does reading that make you remember the actual pain? Sure makes me feel it just reading it!

I remember you going through this, by the way.

RainbowDemon1952 said...

Seminoma: Thanks, I've looked at your page, trust me, you will get thru this and you will be fine. Sometimes the suffering is intense, but the years you gain in return will make this sacrifice worthwhile.
ryseja: No, I no longer remember the physical pain, but I still live with the emotional pain from time to time. I am so thankful for everyday I've had since this happened to me all those years ago.

Unknown said...

I felt your pain. Must of been frightening..

RainbowDemon1952 said...

As many years ago as that has been, it was a very frightening and trying time in my life. I have another poem I wrote in the hospital at the same time and I plan on putting in on here very soon. Thanks for the comment!