Friday, November 11, 2005

I Failed To Recognize You

Muffled steps from behind me
Uncertain of the distance that
Separates them from me
As I walk alone, down the unforgiving
Darkness that surrounds me.

The lonely howling of a dog
From the next block over
Muffled voices crying out in the night,
Their sound amplified by
The magic that is night's amplifier.

My own steps move forward faster,
My head constantly turning to look
Past my shoulders,
Searching for what I perceive
To be the one who I can FEEL
Following me,
Catching up with me with each
and every step I take.

Darting around a brick cornerstone
Of a long and abandoned building.
The sound of traffic blocks away from me now
As I try and find solace
Anywhere but where I now find myself.

The streetlights seem darker here,
For what reason I have no clue.
I only know that it's so very dark
Where I now find myself almost running,
Trying to escape the sound
Of the one who is getting closer.

The wrong path chosen
A solid wall ahead, no exit to either side,
But only
The way I came in here.
Trapped, no way out,
The light has all but been
Consumed by the night.

I stand alone, not moving,
The sound of the steps approaching
Louder with each taken,
Closing in on me,
Me, not understanding why I'm being followed.

Suddenly, a feeling of warmth embraces my chest,
My hand reaching to feel its warmth
And welcome this feeling I had feared
For no reason.
Suddenly, I find myself smiling, recognizing
The stranger I had feared for so long
Yet who I now realize I should have ushered into
My presence.

I reach out my hand to shake the hand
Of the one who I had foolishly fled
And smile to great him now,
Realizing how he had been following me
So closely all these years.

His hood and sickle reassuring me
That we are old friends,
We've just been separated for too long
and
Are about to be reunited.

Welcome, dear friend....

1 comment:

RainbowDemon1952 said...

Thanks for the kind words...occasionally this is the type of poem that comes out of me, and I'm not even aware when I start typing what's actually going to happen. Sometimes I think that's the most fun with writing is you yourself get to see what's going to happen and you get caught up in the excitement as your write. It's good to feel like writing again, even though I find out this week when I get to have my carpal tunnel surgery...that should slow me down a for a little while, but only a little while...Thanks again for the kind words, they help to keep me going...Peace, RD