Monday, November 14, 2005

Starting Anew

One of the things I vividly remember during my November, 1975 hospital stay was the fact that I had no voice, no guitar, and I for one, can't read a lick of music. However, lying in the hospital bed, day after day, my mind could hear this tune, over and over, and as I hummed it in my mind, I grabbed a notebook and pen and began jotting down words as they came to mind. The following song was written from a hospital bed in Indianapolis, traech tube in my throat, no voice and no musical instrument. To date, it is one my most favorite songs I have ever written.

Starting Anew

As I wake up today,
And things they aren't the same
I'm haunted by the memory of you.

My life itself is young
In fact it's just begun,
And I want for so much now to be free.
Things have changed for sure,
Still my life remains impure,
Still there's my memories of you.

I want so much to be free
From your hold.
To be someone quite different
Not so cold.

But as I wake up today
With no new games to play
I'm smothered by the memory of you.

You rid yourself of me
And your as happy as can be
With your new someone you've had for so long.
I want to set myself free
For there's someone new I see
Yet, there's these memories of you.

I want so much
To be free from your hold.
To be someone quite different
Not so cold.

Well I've taken off my ring
'cause it don't mean a thing
And I'm destroying those bad
Memories of you.

No comments: