Sunday, July 25, 2010

Live By The Levee, July 24th, 2010







On July 24th, 2010, what started off as a friendship on Facebook became a highlight in my life when The Skyla Burrell Band performed live on stage at Riverside Park's Amphitheater in Rushville.

A little over a year ago, Skyla and I became friends on Facebook. After finding out that she and her band were going to be performing at the legendary Slippery Noodle in Indianapolis last October, I did some jockeying around with my work schedule and took off work and went to see the band perform.

To say I was rocked on my ass would be an understatement as this foursome absolutely OWNED the Noodle that night. Their four hours on the stage seemed like an hour. All original tunes, dynamic dual lead guitar playing and soulful, sultry voiced Skyla totally rocked the house.

We had been trying to book them for a show at Riverside and after seeing them perform that night, I absolutely became obsessed to seeing them perform on our stage at Riverside. I've been helping put on concerts with the Riverside Park Organizing Committee since 2007, and I believe I was anticipating this show more than any other I had ever helped with.

After their show last night, I can honestly tell you they provided some truly brave folks who faced temps in the 90s and some horribly high humidity some of the best rocking blues I have ever been witness to. It was only a two hour show, but they packed so much high energy and talent into that two hours it was an unforgettable night of blues.

After the show was over and during their teardown and our teardown of the stage, which I mostly took the night off from, they spent a good long while visiting and hanging out with us, making the evening even more memorable.

If you ever get a chance to see this amazing group of musicians perform, do it! They deliver 150% of themselves to their shows and they are totally great people to spend time with. I would call them a total class act, for sure.

They are not only great musicians and great people, but they are wonderful friends and I consider them a part of the "family."

As they got ready to on stage last night, I walked over to wish Skyla a great evening and when she got ready to hug me, I told her I was a pretty sweat mess, to which she replied,"I will be too very shortly. Besides, what's a little sweat amongst family?"

Indeed, what is?

Thanks to Skyla, Mark, EZ and Christine for a night of blues I will never, ever forget!

No comments: