Sunday, November 14, 2010

Time Might Be Running Out




Ten and a half years ago I underwent a slap repair surgery on my left shoulder. It was probably some of the most intense pain I have ever endured, but I've never regretted having it done because it relieved me of so much pain and allowed me to once again sleep at night.

For months, prior to surgery, I went to physical therapy for both shoulders, and, when I finally made the decision to have the surgery on the left shoulder, the surgeon told me it would be just a matter of time before the right one would have to be done as well. I remember asking him at the time how long he thought I might be able to go before it got bad enough to have to go thru the procedure and he told me about ten years.

Well, it's been ten and a half years since the other one was done, and now, unfortunately, the right one is exhibiting the same symptoms as the left one did before. Pain most of the time, loud poppings when I move it a certain way, which probably means its coming out of the socket at times, and I'm having increasing trouble sleeping at night.

I seem to be going thru a tough time right now, but I remain optimistic that everything is going to be okay. I have the equipment here at home to put myself on physical therapy for a while and see if that helps. I know what exercises I need to do and I pretty much know how much further I can go before I have to breakdown and go see the surgeon once again.

Thing is, I don't want to have to go thru another surgery. I don't have enough time built up at work to be able to take off to have the surgery, and I sure don't have enough funds in reserve to pay all the bills associated with having it done.

I guess we'll go a day at a time and see what I can do to keep from having to have another surgery at this point in my life.

No comments: