Friday, December 03, 2010

C 6





First of all, this is NOT an x ray of mine, but it is one similar, and it shows what is actually wrong with me, and NOT my right shoulder. I have a compressed C6 disk, which is causing nerve pain and a weakening on my right side. This disk houses the nerves for the right wrist, thumb pinky and legs. When the nerve is captured by a compressed disk, it causes extreme pain on the right side, radiating from the neck, into the shoulder and down into the bicep.

After visiting with my orthopaedic surgeon yesterday and being examined, x-rayed and tested, the results are that my right shoulder is in great shape, but the C6 is in bad need of help. So, beginning next week, I will start physical therapy and traction at home to relieve the pressure on the disk and open that area up around it so as to free up the nerves.

This means, no surgery, about a month and a half of therapy and traction, and the doc says I should be as good as new, or at least as good as someone my age should be. So, a few more sleep deprived nights and a few more weeks of severe pain and this should start getting better.

Pretty nice early Christmas present, I must say!

No comments: