Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Winding Down




Christmas mailing season at the Post Office is coming to an end, and it has been a busy one, an eventful one and a tiring one.

All in all, it's one I'm thankful for and one I'm thankfully seeing come to that end. Since Christmas falls on Saturday which is my day off each week, my holiday will be Friday, Chrismas Eve. I don't get many Christmas Eve's off, and it's nice to know that this year I'll be able to do just that.

This years season has been a trying one, due to less help at work and the problems I've been having with my neck and shoulder. I haven't been getting a great deal of sleep because of all the pain I've been in, but I've gotten thru it. My therapy sessions have caused some tension with our work schedule, especially since one of our sub clerks has been off this week due to pneumonia. Trust me, I would rather have been putting up with the rush at work than to have had to have gone to these PT sessions, but hopefully they are working. Next week I start two sessions a week instead of just the one I've been going to the last few weeks.

Then the big question: Will Christmas number 32 at the post office be my last one?

Hard to tell right now, but to be honest about it, I hope so. As much as I love my job and as much as my customers and the service I give them mean to me, there are other things that mean a lot to me as well, and I'm thinking maybe it's time for this fat old bald fart to be handing the reins over to someone else's capable hands and for me to hit that time clock for the last time in 2011.

And if I do decide to hang it up next year, when will that be? Also not certain about that, but it would be nice to work a few more months and get used to the idea that retirement is going to be a good thing.

I only hope that when I do leave the post office that someone misses me, even if it's just a little. After all, when you spend over half your life working somewhere and doing it with love and dedication like I've tried to do over the years, you do hope someone will notice your absence when you're gone.

So, I guess the answers to these and more questions will avail themselves sometime during 2011.

In the meantime, God bless you all and thanks for allowing me to serve you once again this Christmas season.

Peace!

No comments: