Saturday, January 29, 2011

Saying Another Goodbye

New Year's Eve our phone ran around 7PM or and Peggy told me it was for me and wouldn't tell me who it was. I took the phone, and lo and behold on the other end was a former co-worker of mine who retired over 20 years ago and someone that I could also say was a friend of mine.

Let's call him Joe.

Joe called, basically shot the breeze for a few minutes, told me he had tried to get hold of my sister to talk to her and didn't catch her, so he called me just to "catch up" on things. We talked for about ten minutes, and as he said good bye to me, I heard his voice catch and as I hung up the phone I told Peggy that it almost sounded like he was on the verge of tears.

This puzzled me because Joe, regardless of the fact that he was around 80 years old, was someone who never showed tender emotions like that. You knew he liked you simply if he spent time talking to you, joking with you and his general attitude toward you.

If Joe didn't like you, I promise you, you knew that too, because in no uncertain terms he wouldn't give you the time of day and he showed no patience toward you.

Around 7PM last night my sister called. She had just hung up from speaking with Joe's wife. Joe passed away yesterday.

He had been ill for sometime, had been in and out of the hospital many times over the past few years. About two years ago he told his daughter that he was getting awfully tired of fighting. His daughter, who is the carbon copy of Joe, told him not to talk that way that everyone still needed him.

Joe fought and got better.

Yesterday Joe told his wife and kids he was tired and didn't want to fight anymore, he just wanted to rest. The family told him that was okay, he could rest if he wanted to.

Joe went to sleep and never woke up again.

Joe, my friend, rest well, rest easy, and enjoy the new world you have passed into. You left a mark on all who knew you and you, my friend, will never, ever be forgotten.

Rest in peace, and I look forward the day you and I can get together and talk once again and I can see that sly smile on your face and hear that wickedly evil laugh of yours that I remember so well.

You were indeed a great friend and I will so miss you.

Godspeed!

No comments: