Sunday, February 20, 2011

Daytona 500, 2011




Well, all I can say is congratulations to 20 year old Trevor Bayne on winning a caution plagued Daytona 500. The young man showed his ability all thru Speedweeks and proved he can indeed run with the big boys in just his second Sprint Cup race.

By no stretch of the imagination was this one of my favorite 500's. The new track surface and the new aero package with the cars has given the race a whole new look. Two car groups, bump drafting all around the track and lead pack breakaways tended to take a bit of the excitement away from the fans watching. While there were still large packs of cars, they were all split into pairs and the cars up front tended to be able to pull away from the field at will.

The good news was that Jimmie Johnson was involved in a 17 car Daytona "big one" and finished the race many laps down. That in itself will bring me back to the tv next Sunday to see just how he performs at Phoenix. I can only hope for more of the same.

As much as I would have loved to have seen my favorite driver, the Rushville Rocket, Tony Stewart win, I told Peggy with six laps to go if Tony couldn't win this year it would be great to see Trevor Bayne win.

And indeed it was!

I would give this race six and half out of ten stars.

No comments: