Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Raising My Glass In A Special Toast

Back when I wrote Remembering Summer Heat Part Five, I spoke briefly of a young man we befriended that night named Val. Val was the Scout who took a liking to us and us to him as well, and he kind of attached himself to us that night.

I only recently learned Val's last name, which was Drake.

I thought of Val from time to time and memories of him always brought a smile to my face. Out of the two times we played at Greensburg High School, Val was only there the first time.

A couple of hours ago, I was reading the online edition of the Rushville Republican and came across Val's obituary.

I was dumbfounded and heartbroken, even though I had only met him the one time over 40 years ago. Val was just one of those nerdy guys that was looking for a friend back then, and that night, he had six.

Val, my long lost friend, you now have the best seat in the house for any concert you wish to see, and I hope that you and late Jay McGinnis have already met up and talked about that night down in Greensburg all those many years ago.

You were never forgotten, my friend. That I can assure you.

I now reprint Val's obituary here.

Godspeed, my long lost friend.

http://rushvillerepublican.com/obituaries/x1437240569/Val-H-Drake-59

No comments: