Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Dry, Dry, Dry

We are going thru the worst drought since back in the 1930s and witnessing temperatures ranging from the mid 90s to a record high last week of 104.

My once beautiful yard is now brown and tomorrow will make four weeks since I've mowed. Hard to imagine this has happened, but alas, it has. The last time I can remember any significant rainfall was back in March.

With that in mind and 89 of Indiana's 92 counties under some kind of burn ban or advisory, it breaks my mind that neighbors of mine this evening are actually setting off fireworks.

You know, I know it's the patriotic thing to do, but let's face it, with this dryness we have right now on virtually everything, you would think common sense would tell you NOT to set of fireworks.

Many cities in Indiana either cancelled or postponed their fireworks because of the fire danger, which is so very real right now.

I stepped outside a few minutes ago and listened, and these folks are the ONLY ones I can hear in town setting them off.

The funny thing, I thought these folks would be the ones who were smart enough not to take any chances, and the ones I thought that would haven't set off that first one.

You can't predict human nature, I guess.

No comments: