Sunday, November 13, 2011

Speak, Rollover, Turn A Page?













Sometimes it's hard to get an old dog to do new tricks, and it is likewise hard to get someone of nearly 60 years of age to get with all the new high tech things that are available today.

Anyone who knows the author of this blogpage, knows just how much I love to read and if you come into my home you will see a vast collection of books that continues to get larger and larger each year. So large, in fact, some of my older books that are not of my favorite authors are now sitting in boxes, still taking up space, but just not out where anyone can see them.

A friend of mine a couple of years ago got a Kindle, first generation, and told me what a great invention it was and how badly I needed to get one of my own. Well, to me, I have always said I would rather have that book in my hands and be able to turn the pages forward and backward to my own liking and not be dependent on a piece of electronics to do my reading. There's something about holding that author's words in a volume of paper pages, bound and in a nice jacket that has always appealed to me.

When I retired, my co workers took up a collection for me and the gal who collected the money started to get me a Kindle since she knew how much I liked to read, but decided since there are now so many variations available, to get me a gift certificate to Amazon and let me spend the money as I saw fit.

I did some investigating, and I decided since her original intent was to get me a Kindle, I would do just exactly that. So, a couple of weeks ago, I went online to Amazon and I preordered a new Kindle Touch, which becomes available on November 21. Mine will ship on that day and I should have it either the 22nd or 23rd.

When you consider this little gadget is about the size of a Readers Digest magazine and will hold 3,000 books, it's mind boggling. If I brought another 3,000 actual books into this home I would have to build a room addition on to have room for that many books. To even consider that kind of technology makes me dizzy, but I have decided to see how much I can accept this kind of change and see if I can adapt to reading off of a Kindle instead of out of a book.

I even have enough money left on my certificate that I can load up at least 7 to 10 more books, depending on prices. With winter coming on and me having much more time at home now, I have a feeling my new Kindle Touch will be arriving at just the right time.

I guess we'll see if this old dog can indeed be taught a few new tricks.

I have a feeling he just might be ready for a few!

No comments: