Sunday, November 20, 2011

Yes Indeed, Number Three!



















In one of the most thrilling Sprint Cup races I have personally ever watched, Tony Stewart did exactly what he needed to do today and won his third Sprint Cup Championship.

In a thrilling race, that could have only awarded one of two people the championship, Tony tied Carl Edwards in points and won the title by having the most wins this season. He and Carl finished first and second in the race.

The final 40 laps saw both drivers doing everything they could to win the race, but Tony had the car that was the class of the field and once he got the lead, he never looked back. A couple of times that lead was a fraction of a second, but Tony's skill behind the wheel and a gamble saving fuel in the pits earlier paid off in the final outcome of the race.

This race was truly exciting, and I personally watched the last eleven laps standing in my living room and staring at the television until the checkered flag was waved.

Carl Edwards, ever the class act and great sportsman that he is, was the first person to walk up to Tony's car and reach in and not only shake his hand, but give him his heartiest congratulations. He also told Tony that he hoped it came down just like this next year between the two of them and that they could battle for the championship once again.

And now, until February, no races on the weekends, which always seems to leave a void in my life. However, this year, I do believe I will turn my attention to college basketball, something I've never really followed until this past March when I was home during March Madness recovering from surgery.

Congratulations once again to my favorite Nascar driver, Tony Stewart, the 2011 Sprint Cup Champion!

No comments: