Sunday, March 05, 2006

An Evening Stroll Of Need

An abandoned umbrella, blowing crazily down the street
As the rain begins slacking off.
Pulling my jacket close to my neck
In a futile effort to keep the cold and
Rain from getting me cold and wet.
I can't remember how long I've been walking out here,
I only know my breath plumes out in a haze as I walk,
And I believe part of my dampness comes from sweat and
Not the rain.
Off in the distance
I hear the forlorn crying of a lonely dog,
Its howl adding to the dreariness of the night.

I know the moon hangs full in the sky
But the clouds from the storm
Keep it hidden from view
As well as the stars.
The streets appear deserted
People hidden behind the shelter of their homes
And warmed by fires from their furnaces and fireplaces.
I'm so alone out here tonight
Searching for the one thing that will bring
An end to my ravenous hunger.

A black cat crosses in front of me
Its back arching and hisses coming from it
As it greets my presence
And runs off into the night.
I hate the loneliness of this night
Yet at the same time I relish its existence,
For it makes my search easier
Amongst the wind and the rain that has
Taken the umbrella into its dark prison,
Out of my sight forever this evening,
Its path so far removed from my own.

Ahead I hear the shallow breathing,
My hearing has become so keen,
And I hear the gasps that come along with its
Shallowness,
Knowing that the possessor of these gasps
Is trying hard to find refuge on this night.

I feel the saliva begin to flow in anticipation
And I move myself closer to the the darkness of the
Grass next to the sidewalk
Trying so hard to stay out of view until the critical
Moment arrives.

Although the full moon remains hidden by the clouds
Its effect upon me even as if it were in full view,
Creating the hunger that can only be satisfied
By the blood of one so full of fear,
By the one who has yet to know they have
But brief moments of tranquility left
Before I strike.

This curse has followed me for so many years now,
I've actually forgotten the failed attack
That afflicted me with this yearning passion
So many years ago,
But I've never forgotten the hunger that it has
Created,
And the hunger must be satisfied,
Regardless of the costs involved.

An unlit building approaches, taking my refuge
In the dark wet grass away,
And as I glance at my dark reflection
In the window to my left,
I'm awestruck at what I see peering back at me.

I can't believe this creature with the long snout
And long fangs is me,
And that long hair that covers my face
Is much longer than I remember it.
Yet, there are no longer wisps of gray
Mingled in,
The nightly feedings of the full moons
Of many years have taken that gray away,
Leaving only the dark black that I see now.

As I pass the building, I pause in the dark shadow
It has left behind
And I wait for my prey
Who has gotten so close now
That I can smell the plumes of breath
They are exhaling.

I watch as they approach,
Their attention directed towards their feet
And out of the rain that falls at their face,
My presence in the shadow of the building
An invisible one.
The believe they are alone,
And I allow them this pleasure a few extra seconds
As they pass by me,
Unknowing and ignorant of me,
Only worried about their journey
In the rain.

In mere moments my hunger and thirst will be quenched,
As it is so many nights just like this,
Their cries of anguish will excite me
And drive me forward in my quest
As their lifesource becomes mine
And generates the fuel needed by my soul
That feeds my eternal damnation.

As I begin my approach, I wonder for a moment
Just how many more nights will I feed like this,
How many more nights will I take the soul
And lifeblood of a living being
To further the length of my own life?

Those thoughts begin to fade as I make my approach
Much like those of a thief in the night
They know not that I am here,
They cannot hear me approaching,
They cannot know the longing and the hunger
That I am about to feed.
I'm swift, I'm cunning and I'm greedy in my assault.
Success is assured
As the killing begins...

No comments: