Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Oh My, It's Really Coming Now!

It's hard to believe, but in 18 days for the first time in decades, Indiana is going to start observing Daylight Savings Time. It's a touchy subject for a lot of people, but I, for one, am glad to see it coming, because frankly, it finally puts Indiana in touch with the rest of the country, save for the last two holdout states.

Yes, it's going to be a hassle changing all the clocks, and it's going to be a real trip trying to figure out this beautiful watch my wife gave me for our 25th anniversary a few years back and how to change the time on it....don't laugh, this sucker came with a manual the size of metropolitan city telephone directory and I don't have a clue how to change time on it. Thank God it's solar powered, otherwise I would have already been in deep doo-doo trying to adjust it. But I'll figure it out, and if not, I guess I'll just have to wear a cheaper watch during the DST months.

I'm happy that we'll no longer have to try and figure out what time it is east of here, south of here and west of here. If we plan a trip to King's Island amusement park in Ohio, we won't have to get up an extra hour early and try and get there on time, because finally, we'll be on the same time as Ohio.

I'll be blessed with an extra hour of daylight so I can do my lawn work after work and not have to tie up my weekends mowing and weeding. That hour may not seem like much to a lot of folks, but it's going to be a true blessing to me when it comes to yardwork.

My wife and I love to sit outside in the evenings and read, and now we'll have an extra hour of daylight to do that as well.

When I'm watching "live" tv shows, I'll actually be watching them live and not on a one hour tape delayed basis as I have for so many years. When the next American Idol is crowned, I'll know it when everyone else does and not an hour later than they do.

But the best part of this change is the fact that most of Indiana will remain in the Eastern time zone, so there really will be an extra hour of daylight gained from the change. When this was first discussed, it was also talked that Indiana would all move into the Central Time Zone, which meant we would have gained nothing from the change to DST. Now, thankfully, we really will be gaining an hour of daylight during the summer months.

Now, if someone can just explain to me the benefit Indiana will receive by leasing the Indiana toll road in northern Indiana to foreigners for the next 75 years, I'll be one happy camper. But let's not go there today, because frankly, I think the entire idea and the way it was handled was foolish and underhanded and not in the interest of the residents of this state. It was solely for the benefit of Indiana's governor, certainly not my man Mitch Daniels, who I just happen to think is one of the biggest cry babies and sore losers I have ever seen in politics.

Let's see, he places our toll road in the hands of foreigners, our president attempts to put our foreign ports in the hands of an Arab nation...hmmmm, that might be why Mitch was given the nickname by George W as "My Man Mitch."

He sure as hell isn't my man, and neither is the jerk that sits in control of our nation, either...

'nuf said!

No comments: