Wednesday, August 02, 2006

So Far, So Good

This vacation has gone pretty smoothly so far.

And while I haven't done anything remarkable, travelled any great distance or gone anywhere unforgettable, this vacation has served me well by allowing me to clear the dustbin of my brain and sweep out some of the cobwebs that have gathered there.

For three straight days I have ridden my new scooter a lot of miles and on a lot of different types of terrain. I've highway driven, county road driven, and even managed to traverse two thickly gravelled driveways. THOSE were a challenge.

I finished a book I had been reading, started another one, and generally enjoyed lying about leisurely in the afternoons because of this damnable summer heat. (Oh, yeah, that reminds me, I have another chapter of Remembering Summer Heat to try and get to this week as well.) The heat index has been well over a hundred, the heat and humidity have been pretty hellacious, so my riding and most outdoor activities have been done during the cooler morning hours.

We were able to breed our second to the youngest male alpaca this week, which was quite the experience for him, as well as for us. I would have never believed livestock breeding to be as romantic as this truly was. And now, just a few days after his first sexual encounter, young Nicodemous is quite the stud muffin, or so he thinks.

Now, as I begin the second half of my vacation(yeah, the first half flew by) my wife will now be joining me for the next five days. I've a surprise or two in store for her, just to keep things fun for her, and Friday evening, weather permitting, we're going to the local amphitheater to see the Irish band Gaelic Storm, who appeared in the movie "Titanic."

I've certainly not missed work, and while I'm not dreading going back, I can certainly say that I would much rather be away for another week, because I didn't get much done outside because of the heat, and I'm still behind on things that I hoped I would have gotten caught up this week.

Ah, well, there's always that two week vacation I have coming up in October, and that one is just a mere eight and a half weeks away.

So, come on October!

4 comments:

Frances Mackay said...

Just happened into your blog. I enjoyed the trip and particularly liked "Awakening". Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday. I believe it has been even hotter over there these last few days. Frances.

RainbowDemon1952 said...

Thanks so much for the kind words, Frances. Hopefully there's more coming very soon. I'll be checking out your site as well, can't wait to see what you're doing there as well. Hope you make the trip back and thanks for the wishes for the rest of my vacation as well.
Hope to see you again soon.
RD1952

Mea said...

Ohhh your trip sounds eventfull to me! Lol.... It would be so nice to do that... just relax.. and let me tell you just how happy I was when I read that you are going to do another part in "Summer Heat" for us!!! I cannot wait as I am sure many cannot.I miss ya hun and I REALLY hope that your year gets a hell of a lot better!! But hey.. you can always write about it!! And we will still read!!
Autumn

Serena said...

I know you're on vacation and chaperoning alpacas and all, but dude! Don't make us wait too much longer for more Summer Heat. Enjoy the rest of your time off, and just remember -- it HAS to cool off SOMEtime. Let's hope we don't all melt before it does.