Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Update

















For the first time ever in my life, I woke up alone on Christmas morning. Peggy spent the night at the hospital in Richmond to be with her Dad. It was a strange feeling, and one I never, ever hope to have to go thru again.

Christmas morning, after I ate a quick breakfast, I made the drive to Richmond as well, all 54 miles of it, and I spent the morning and about half the afternoon sitting in the cafeteria reading my Kindle, while Peggy and her sister spent time with their Dad.

Later on during Christmas Day, her Dad was moved into a regular room.

Peggy's Mom spent her Christmas Day in Methodist Hospital in Indy, recuperating from surgery to repair her broken leg while tests were going on to find out where she was losing blood and also to treat an embolism on her lung.

Her grandmother spent Christmas also in Methodist being treated for a bowel obstruction.

I left Reid Hospital later Christmas afternoon and Peggy left about 90 minutes after me. We celebrated Christmas, finally, between 8:30 and 9PM Christmas night. We stretched it out and finished upwrapping gifts to each other between 10 and 10:30.

The day after Christmas, Peggy and her sister again headed up to the hospital in Richmond as they once again began trying to use the feeding tube that had aspirated on Christmas Eve and put Roy back in ICU. They had to make decisions regarding treatment for Roy should the tube aspirate again, which thankfully did not.

Yesterday, Roy was transferred from Reid to Millers' Merry Manor in Rushville, eliminating that long drive each day to Richmond. Last night Roy was laughing and acting like a different person. While he is still paralyzed and cannot talk, he's acting much more like himself and his sense of humor seems to slowly be coming back.

This morning, Peggy's grandmother was released from Methodist and sent home, the treatment for her bowel obstruction a success.

Late this afternoon, Peggy's Mom was transferred out of Methodist, also to Millers' in Rushville. So, everyone is back in Rushville for the time being, and hopefully things are going to start getting better for everyone.

Roy will be undergoing intense therapy to help him regain his speech and his mobility.

Sue will be undergoing therapy on her leg so she can begin using it again.

I am so thankful that everything seems to be going well right now. Only time will tell for each of them, but for now, things are better than they have been for over 2 weeks.

As 2011 draws to a close, I thank each of you, my Faithful Few for hanging in there with me for another year. I hope next year the blogs get better and you find the page interesting and fun to visit and check back with.

Hold those you love near to you and try and get alone, because you never know just how much time you will have with anyone, and the relationships you have with everyone are so important.

I've had a lot of personal losses with friends and family this year, and I truly hope 2012 is a much better year in that regard.

Richest wishes and blessings are sent to you all for a most wonderful and prosperous 2012. I wish you happiness and peace, as always.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow....what a day it was for your wife, her family...and you. I completely understand what you said also, on not waking again with the side being empty...no matter the reason! Once a year my husband goes on a 3 day, 2 night golf outing with friends...and each year...I know it will be the longest, sleepless weekend of the year. I guess my biggest prayer is that when our times come, we go together...and I know with my whole being...he wishes the same. We are a rare breed now a days are we not??!!! Vicki