Thursday, December 27, 2012

Blizzard of 2012?




We just endured what the media cast as the Blizzard of 2012.

That's what the media called it.

I called it a bunch of snow (8 to 12 inches) with strong winds for about 14 - 16 hours.

In my opinion, it didn't live up to the hype the news media was giving it.

Yes, it was bad, the roads were bad and the wind was pretty fierce.

However, it wasn't 15 and a half inches of snow partnered with 40 to 50 mile per hour winds in excess of 2 1/2 days...

That was the Blizzard of 1978, which to me has been the granddaddy of blizzards in my lifetime, and something I hope I never have to live thru again.

In 1978, nothing moved for days. Electric was out for days. Mail trucks could NOT get thru. Hell, nothing got thru!

I won't go into elaborate details about Indiana's Blizzard of '78, you can Google that yourself and see what happened. The picture heading this selection was taken in Indiana after the Blizzard of '78 went thru. The whole darned state looked like this!

I challenge anyone who went thru yesterday's "Blizzard of 2012" to show me a picture that even comes close to this...

It's a challenge that won't be met.

And in my humble opinion, that's a good thing for sure!

No comments: