Saturday, January 09, 2010

Realistic Expectations For 2010

I'm not a fan of New Year's resolutions, mainly because I think most of the time they are either broken or never even attempted once they are made. I do, however, like to try and set some goals for myself, because I would rather fail at meeting a goal than to break a resolution that I made to myself.

Popular ones that are made are quitting smoking, which I no longer do. I stopped smoking almost 26 years ago. Another one would be to give up caffeine, and no, I'm not doing that. I love my coffee but I don't abuse it. I'm not quitting alcohol because alcohol is not a problem of abuse either.

Then there is weight loss. Very popular, maybe number one, I'm not sure. This one I truly need to take a look at, and a serious look at that. I love eating, and I love eating lots of unhealthy foods. I'm not a sweet eater, but I love cheeses, red meat and I can't seem to live without potatoes of any kind.

I have therefore set a goal to lose weight this year, by controlling my diet and by becoming more active. I plan on starting this next week, about a month before my vacation starts, which could prove to be a real challenge, but we shall see. I've not particular diet in mind, it will be trial and error, no doubt, but I do plan on making some major changes in what I eat and how much. I also plan or developing an exercise program that not only will suit my needs immediately, but one that I can adjust and add onto without fear of overdoing it in the beginning.

I'll be weighing in, measuring and taking pictures, so I can track my progress. I owe this to myself more than I do to anyone else, but I do hope my wife will be happy with what I accomplish.

Yes, I have a target weight already in mind, a realistic time frame to achieve it in, and hopefully I can also develop a maintenance program to keep where I end up.

Will I succeed? I'd like to think so, but I don't have a crystal ball, so I can't see into the future and guarantee I'll meet my preset goal, but I have every intention of giving it my best shot.

And yes, I will be updating my progress within the pages of my blogsite as well.

The ball is truly in my court.

Let's see if I can run with it and score or if I'll fumble.

No comments: